What to wear?
You’ve just booked your photo session and now you’re scratching your head, What do I wear?!?! Below is a list of recommendations to look your best!
How to look picture perfect!
- Professional hair and makeup always looks amazing--let's face it ladies it's a fun excuse to get pampered! If you're great with hair and makeup, make sure your hair is full or styled nicely. *Note: putting on makeup a little darker for picture day is actually a good thing! The camera will see it better. If you’re more of a natural kinda gal, a little face powder, mascara and little color or gloss on the lips is all you need. Trust me, you’ll look perfect!
- Solid colors are your friend, but also mixing solid colors with a pattern looks fabulous!
- Look for fabrics that drape nicely on the body that are not too tight and not too loose.
- Layers and Accessories are always fun and adds that extra level to your pictures! Think scarves, hats, jackets, blazers, ties, denim & knits. For the winter months, Long sleeves under short sleeves, leggings under skirts/dresses. Fun shoes like tall boots or sassy heels. A variety of textures will give your photos that extra punch!
- Plaid and solid colored shirts on men look fantastic! Guys can get dressed up and look snazzy too! Also, nice styled hair and sculpted facial hair is always handsome.
- Nice hands, toes and feet (Not only will there be full body pictures, but there may be some closeups too). Moisturized skin always looks nice.
What not to wear:
- Beware of bright fluorescent colored fabrics/tops, they will reflect color onto your skin.
- Loud/bold or very small patterns. The camera does not like pinstripes. It tends to confuse what the camera is seeing and creates a psychedelic pattern in the finished product.
- Avoid logos and character-wear. Keep it simple and classy.
- Wear clothes that reflect and complement your environment.
Families and Couples:
- When picking out clothes it's always nice to stay within the same color family when choosing color or mix and match color and different shades of color, have fun with it!
- Coordinating but not matching. Don’t over match. *What do I mean? Please do not wear the exact same accent color or the exact same outfit. Also, let your personality shine, but without being overbearing. We want you to stand out, not necessarily your clothes.
- Jeans always look great. Dark pants are fine.
- Make sure everyone dresses at the same level of formality; either all dressy or all casual, in similar or complementary color tones.
- Think fun and young! Showcase their personality with fun prints, polka dots, stripes and cheerful colors. Add layers, a tutu or a tie. It’s always smart to bring a backup outfit.
- I recommend having little kids try on their outfits at home and having them sit, stand and lay down on the floor, if their outfits shift or move drastically, you may want to rethink the outfit. We don't want to take the time fussing and adjusting an outfit if we don't have to. Keep it simple and keep it cute!
- For maternity, your beautiful baby belly is the focal point. Jeans with a real waist, tight tops that hug the belly, a beautiful dress or flowing skirt with a flattering top or sweater.
- For your new little bundle of joy, just a diaper with diaper cover or au naturale is best. We want to capture those beautiful bellies, tiny toes and tooshies. If you have a special outfit be sure to have that ready to go as well.
- Try on the outfits you'd like to wear beforehand (as individuals or as a family) and see what you look like in the mirror or have someone take a quick snapshot on your phone to see what your outfits look like altogether. Another strategy is to lay out everyone's outfits on the bed or floor to see what they look like altogether. Seeing the outfits together will help with your decision on what to wear.
- A nice pair of shoes is always a plus!
In the end, have fun and feel comfortable with your choices. That confidence will reflect in your images. And remember, I'm here to help. Feel free to message me a picture of your outfits for advice 707-592-4440.